Thursday, August 11, 2016

Predictions for End of 2016-2017 Season


I threw together this prediction based upon the results of the last two seasons with last season weighted at twice the weight given to the 2014-2015 season, with some reversion to the mean and an assumption that newly promoted clubs are not that good, but they are, on average, better than the clubs that were relegated.

1.       Manchester City

2.       Arsenal

3.       Tottenham

4.       Manchester United

5.       Leicester

6.       Southampton

7.       Chelsea

8.       Liverpool

9.       West Ham

10.   Everton

11.   Stoke

12.   Swansea

13.   Crystal Palace

14.   Watford

15.   West Brom

16.   Burnley

17.   Hull

18.   Middlesbrough

19.   Bournemouth

20.   Sunderland
I don't necessarily agree with these predictions, but they are what my system generated.

I am skeptical that the Manchester clubs are as improved as people think.  I can see both Leicester and Southampton dropping off more than my system suggests.  On the other hand, I would not want to predict against continued improvement for Southampton.

So I will pick Southampton to improve again in the same way I predicted it last season.  I define improvement as a higher table place, a higher point total, making it to the knock out stage of the Europa League and finishing in the top ten, or winning a trophy and avoiding relegation.

No comments:

Post a Comment