Monday, May 4, 2015

I Make Predictions (Round 36)

Edit:  I made an error with Stoke's magic number which I carried over into the next two prediction posts.  I have fixed it.

Last round Mark Lawrenson got five games right for five points.  His celebrity guest got five games right for nine points.  Merson got six games right for eight points.  I got five games right for nine points.

Since I started making these predictions I have predicted 123 out of 239 games correctly for 180 points.  Lawrenson predicted 119 games out of 236 correctly for 161 points. Merson predicted 117 games out of 232 correctly for 165 points.
I will link to Lawrenson’s and Merson’s new predictions when they are published. There will be found here and here.
Here are my predictions using the same rules outlined here.    Once again, my modifications for clubs that have played a different number of games do not matter.
Everton-Sunderland        2-1
Aston Villa-West Ham     1-1
Hull-Burnley                      2-1
Leicester-Southampton   0-1
Newcastle-West Brom    1-1
Stoke-Tottenham            1-1
Palace-Man U                    1-2
Man City-QPR                    2-1
Chelsea-Liverpool            2-1
Arsenal-Swansea             2-1
MAGIC NUMBERS
Here are our magic numbers for the entire League as explained here:
I have left the clubs in the same order as when I first posted this list because I find it more interesting that way.
Strictly speaking magic numbers do not go negative—when the number reaches zero you have clinched finishing ahead of that team—that is why the number is magic.  Nevertheless, I am going to continue calculating negative magic numbers because that information is useful to me in comparing the various clubs.  Anyone who is bothered by this can just treat all negative numbers as zero.
Chelsea                38 (no one can catch them)
Man City             23 (we can no longer catch them)
Man U                 18
Arsenal                26 (we can no longer catch them)
Tottenham         11
Liverpool            14
West Ham            0
Swansea               6
Stoke                     0
Newcastle           -12
Everton                 -3
Palace                    -5
Sunderland          -11
West Brom            -7
Aston Villa           -10
Burnley                 -21
Hull                        -13
QPR                       -20
Leicester              -13
The points total mathematically needed to avoid relegation is still 43.  If we beat Leicester or Sunderland loses it will drop to 41. If both happen it drops to 40. No one reached safety this week.
We have clinched 8th place.   Once again, if everything goes right this weekend, we could clinch 7th place.

No comments:

Post a Comment