Sunday, August 2, 2015

July 2015 Reading List

Pursuant to my new policy of sometimes writing about things other than football, I present the first installment of my monthly reading list.  This list will include all books I have started or finished in the prior calendar month.

I have decided to post this information because it will be useful to me to have a handy place to find this information and because I am delusional enough to believe that some people might be interested.  This list will not contain all the reading I have done in the prior month because I have read, without completing, some books that I started reading before July.  I also do a lot of reading on the internet.  I might at some point write up a blog about what I regularly read on the internet.  I also do a vast amount of reading for work.  In July, for example, I read (and in some cases, re-read) a couple of thousand pages of court reporter’s transcripts for several different cases as well as several dozen published cases and a handful of briefs written by other attorneys.
Books Finished
The Game: Inside the Secret World of Major League Baseball's Power Brokers by Jon Pessah
This book provides a detailed history of Major League Baseball from the early 1990s until just recently.  It primarily focuses on three people:  Bud Selig, the Commissioner of Baseball, Don Fehr, the head of the players’ Union, and George Steinbrenner, the owner of the New York Yankees.  It is clear that Pessah has great inside sources.  There is information in the book that had to come directly from Fehr and Selig and probably Steinbrenner as well.
The interesting thing about this book, in a strange way, is how little it had to do with baseball itself. There was almost no discussion of baseball strategy. Instead, the focus was on the financial dealings and political infighting.  Selig was trying to get the owners to stick together to keep down costs.  Fehr was trying to get the players as large a share of the money as possible.  Steinbrenner was trying to win even though he spent so much money that he drove up player salaries for all the other clubs.
My sympathies have always been with the players and nothing in this book changes that.  Certainly Fehr’s behavior appeared more ethical and competent than that of Selig and Steinbrenner.  On the other hand, in a sense, none of it mattered because baseball’s income grew so dramatically over the time period that there was plenty of money for everyone.
I intend to read similar books about other sports especially football and American football.  (See “The Football Business” by David Conn below.)
Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant by Hy Conrad
This is the umpteenth book in the series of novels based upon the Monk TV show.  These are not novelizations of TV shows but additional stories about the same characters.  The first novels were written while the TV show was still on the air and included additional cases not covered by TV shows.  Subsequently, the books have carried the story of Monk and his friends forward. 
This book is not suitable for anyone who did not enjoy the Monk TV show.  On the other hand, if you liked the Monk TV show you would probably like these books.  I thoroughly enjoyed both. However, you should read the book chronologically by publication date.
The only thing about this book that disappoints me was the announcement by Hy Conrad that this will be his last Monk book.  Conrad was chosen by the prior author to take over the series when that author retired.  Conrad has apparently gotten an exciting new job and no longer has time to write the series.  As a result, this maybe the last of the Monk books.
Working for Bigfoot by Jim Butcher and Vincent Chong
This is a collection of three stories about Butcher’s continuing character, Harry Dresden, a professional wizard working as a private investigator in modern day Chicago. In this book, Dresden takes on three separate jobs for Bigfoot looking after Bigfoot’s half human son. 
If you are a fan of Harry Dresden you will enjoy this book.  If you are not a fan you will probably not enjoy this book.  If you have never heard of Harry Dresden but think you might enjoy a set of fantasy/crime novels set in the modern day you will probably enjoy the Dresden series, but this is not the place to start reading it.
Money and Soccer: A Soccernomics Guide by Stefan Szymanski
The original Soccernomics book is one of the books that most strongly influenced how I think about football.  My thought process has also been greatly affected by the vast number of Sabremetrics books I have read over the years going all the way back to the Bill James Baseball Abstracts from the 1980s.  I found this book by one of the two Soccernomics authors to be interesting and informative.  That being said, I was not entirely impressed by the fact that early in the book, he analogizes the skills involved in buying players and making scouting decisions in football to the decisions of investment managers in the financial markets.  He claims that “there is very little evidence that any fund manager can invest your [money] better than any other fund manager.  The same reasoning applies quite closely to soccer.”
I think this conclusion is wrong.  Instead, I believe that there is strong evidence that most money managers and football managers cannot reliably provide above average results.  Obviously, the typical money manager provides his investors with returns that are slightly below the average for the market as a whole.  This is inevitable because the market is primarily made up of stocks being traded by money managers and, when you syphon off their fees, the average return must be slightly below average.  The same is true of football managers.  The average manager provides averages results, by definition.
What Szymanski ignores are investors such as Warren Buffett and football managers like Alex Ferguson who have demonstrated an ability to significantly outperform over the long haul.  No doubt some people, perhaps even Szymanski, would attribute Buffet’s success not to a greater level of skill, insight, or knowledge but to luck.  After all, if you were to hold a coin tossing contest with everyone in the world competing, after 20 tosses there would still be something under five thousand people with perfect scores.  Yet, of course, these people would have no special coin tossing skills—they are simply the natural result of random chance.  (I am ignoring the possibility of cheating stage magicians.  I assume the contest is properly policed.)  Is there any way to know that someone like Buffett has not just tossed heads multiple years in a row purely through luck? 
I believe that the answer to that question is that yes, we do know that Buffet has invested well through skill, not luck.  Likewise, there is good reason to believe that Sir Alex Ferguson performed as well as he did for so many years because he had actual skills and not because he was lucky year after year. 
This does not mean it is easy to determine in advance, which financial advisors, football scouts, or football managers, have the ability to reliably make good decisions.  In fact, it is obviously very difficult, but it is virtually certain that there is skill involved. 
Aside from this one quibble, I found the book very informative and interesting but it focused almost exclusively on financial aspects of football and not much at all on game play.  If you have read and enjoyed Soccernomics, you will almost certainly enjoy this book.  If you have not read Soccernomics you should read it first and only read this book if you liked Soccernomics.
The Fuller Memorandum by Charles Stross
The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross
These books are the third and fourth, respectively, books in Charles Stross’ Laundry series.  The books are set in modern day England but it is a world where the Lovecraftian horrors really exist and careless use of computers and mathematics can summon the monsters that live beyond our world.  The Laundry is the ultra-secret bureaucracy tasked with defending the world, or at least the UK part of it, from the dangers represented both by the horrors and by the people who would worship or summon them.
I started this series a number of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the first book.  As a result, I bought the other books on my Kindle as they came out, but never got around to reading them.  When I noticed that a new book was coming out this summer and that it would be the fifth unread book in the series, I decided to make a concerted effort to read the books.  I have enjoyed them so far although, based upon the author’s comments on his blog, it is quite clear that I am missing much of his humor and the homages to other authors. Thus, I failed to recognize the homage to Len Deighton even though I had read several books by Deighton.  I recognized the homage to Ian Fleming but then it was pretty obvious.  I did not recognize the homages to Anthony Price and Peter O’Donnell but then I have never read anything by either author.
Once again, these are fantasies set in the modern world and presumably appeal to a limited audience but if you are in that audience these are among the best books around.  You should read the books in chronological order.  There are some shorter stories too.  The proper reading order can be found on the internet.
The End of All Things by John Scalzi
This is the sixth book in John Scalzi’s “Old Man’s War” series.  It, too, is not the place to start reading the series.  You should start with, of all things, “Old Man’s War.”
This is a science fiction novel set in the future universe where humanity is at war with virtually every alien species around.  The off earth human civilization gets its soldiers by recruiting elderly citizens of Earth who agree to join humanity’s defense forces.  In exchange they get rejuvenated into super soldiers.  If they survive long enough, they get to retire to a colony in brand new young, but not super, bodies albeit with the risk that the colony will be conquered or destroyed by aliens.  I enjoyed this book as I did all of the other Scalzi books I have read.
City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett
One of the things I like about fantasy novels in recent years is how they have moved far beyond books that are obviously based on J.R.R. Tolkien.  I particularly enjoy, for example, Brandon Sanderson’s books.  He has the ability to create a new and completely different, but interesting, magic system every time he starts a new series of books.
City of Stairs would fit right in with Sanderson’s work because it too has a new and different magical system and is set in a world that feels new and different.  The book is set many years after the end of a war in which the oppressed people successfully revolted against their oppressors and killed the very real gods they worshiped.  The action takes place in the former capital city of the gods which is a complete mess due to the aftereffects of the gods’ deaths.  The descendent of the military leader responsible for the killing of the gods comes to the city to investigate the murder of her mentor and in the process has interesting adventures and learns lots of stuff.  This is apparently, the first book in the series.  The next book in the series is due out in January.  I enjoyed the book but will probably hold off on reading subsequent books in the series until the series is complete or at least until two or three more of them have been published. Bennett has written four other novels which I will probably read at some point.
Books Started
I tend to start a lot more books than I finish so, assuming I continue with this project, the books started list will usually be longer than books finished list.  Obviously, I will not comment twice on books I started and finished in the same month.  In fact, I will probably not comment on most of the books in the books started list.
Sports Analytics: A Guide for Coaches, Managers, and Other Decision Makers by Benjamin C. Alamar and Dean Oliver
Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant by Hy Conrad
Working for Bigfoot  by Jim Butcher and Vincent Chong
Money and Soccer: A Soccernomics Guide by Stefan Szymanski
Big Data Baseball: Math, Miracles, and the End of a 20-Year Losing Streak by Travis Sawchik
The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross
The Rhesus Chart by Charles Stross
Proxima by Stephen Baxter
I have read a large number of Baxter’s earlier books but after a while, I stopped reading his books because their endings tend to be depressing.  The depressing endings are perfectly reasonable.  If you write science fiction novels that extend into the far future, it is inevitable that things will not always go well for the characters or humanity as a whole.  Certainly, no matter what happens we are all going to die and the universe is going to end either in a big collapse or some form of heat death.  As an atheist who does not believe I am personally immortal I accept the concept that by my own standards my life is not going to have a happy ending and for the most part I am good with that.  However, that does not mean that I always want to read about something that reminds me of that. 

On the other hand, his books are very good in virtually every respect so after taking a five or six year break from reading anything by Baxter, I decided to give one of his new novels a chance.  We shall see if I manage to stick it out.
Thirty-One Nil: On the Road with Football’s Outsiders by James Montague
The Color of Magic (Discworld Book 1) by Terry Pratchett
Despite his fame and popularity, I have never read anything by Terry Pratchett.  However, people whose judgment I trust assured me that I should enjoy his books.  Since he is not writing any more, I decided to start with the first book in his Discworld series and see how it goes.
The Football Business by David Conn
David Conn’s column is one I read regularly.  He generally seems to know what he is talking about and writes about football related subjects that I find interesting. 
Unfortunately, his books are not available on Kindle in the USA which is annoying.  As a result, I have ordered actual hardcopies of his books which, given my current reading habits, makes it less likely I will finish reading them.  Nevertheless, I decided to give this book a try.  It is about the Premier League in the 1990s. 
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling
I have already read this book multiple times, but the e-book version of the entire series was on sale at J.K. Rowling’s Pottermore web site and I couldn’t resist buying them.  Whether I will actually re-read the entire series again is impossible to say.
Which Lie Did I Tell?:  More Adventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman

No comments:

Post a Comment