Thursday, January 8, 2015

I Make Predictions (Round 21)

On SaintsWeb someone asked me how my predictions were comparing with those made by Mark Lawrenson and Paul Merson.  I had not been comparing my predictions to Merson, but why not.? Maybe I should round up the predictions made by every single expert prognosticator and see where I stand.  However, other than “The True Geordie”, I don’t really follow anyone who makes these predictions—although I am sure there are many.  I am not going to go back and listen to the last ten of his prediction videos.  If anyone wants to send me links for other prognosticators, I will consider tabulating them.

That being said, I will add in Paul Merson from now on.  On New Year’s Day, using his scoring system, Mark Lawrenson got two games right for two points.  His celebrity guest got four games right for six points.  Merson got two games right for two points.  I got three games right for five points.
Since I started nine rounds ago I have predicted 44 out of 90 games correctly for 70 points.  Lawrenson predicted 43 games correctly for 53 points. Merson predicted 43 games correctly for 57 points.  To be fair, I don’t think Merson explicitly agreed to this scoring system.
I will link to Lawrenson’s and Merson’s new predictions when they are published.  They will be found here and here.
Here are my predictions using the same rules outlined here. 
Sunderland-Liverpool                    1-1
Burnley-QPR                                    1-1
Chelsea-Newcastle                         2-1
Everton-Man City                            1-2
Leicester-Aston Villa                       1-2
Swansea-West Ham                        1-1
West Brom-Hull                               1-1
Palace-Spurs                                     1-2
Arsenal-Stoke                                   2-1
Man U-Southampton                      2-1
I have been giving some thought as to how I would predict games at the start of the season.  My tentative approach will be to switch to my regular system after six games.  Prior to that time, I will predict the newly promoted teams to lose all their games, except against each other.  I will predict last year’s top four teams to win all their games except against each other.  In all other cases I will predict the home team to win.  All scores will be 2-1.  How does that sound?

No comments:

Post a Comment