Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Great Moments in Recent Southampton History (Part 12)

A year has passed since Ronald Koeman was hired as Southampton’s new manager.  It is difficult to say anything new or insightful about the hiring because the decision has turned out very well and everyone knows that.  However, it certainly qualifies as a great moment in recent Southampton history.
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11280877.Saints_appoint_Koeman_as_new_manager/?ref=arc
Of course, the moment is even better in retrospect because he seems intent on seeing out his contract.
Since I wasn’t blogging back then, I can’t go back and link to my prophetic analysis that this hiring decision would lead to yet another season of improvement.  However, I can predict yet another season of improvement this coming season and so I will.
What is particularly interesting about the hiring of Koeman is that it represents the fourth premature change of Southampton managers in a row all of which turned out to be clear improvements over what was there before.  It will be interesting to see if that streak is extended (either part of it).
I was going to end this post by linking to a pundit predicting disaster for Koeman at Southampton, but they are not as easy to find as I would have expected—setting aside the various relegation predictions. I suppose these two will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment