Wednesday, June 17, 2015

My Summer 2015 Scouting Report (Striker Edition—Juanmi Update)

Since I published my striker scouting report, Southampton has signed a real life striker.  It did not escape my attention that this striker, Juan Miguel Jiménez López (or Juanmi), was not on my final list.  Nor was he on my semi-final list.  He did not even make it through my initial screening process.  The reason for his omission turned out to be quite simple.

In my initial screening of potential striker targets I arbitrarily chose to look only at strikers with composure and finishing scores of at least 12.  FM 2015 gives Juanmi an 11 in composure.  As a result, I never looked at him.
I went back and scouted him with the Manchester United scouts in game and they rated him 1.5 stars in current ability and 2.5 in potential.  Again, this would have prevented me from including him on my list.
Had I actually looked at him, I would have seen that he had a CA of 129 and a PA of 161.  The 129 is lower than I would normally include in my possibilities, but only slightly and the 161 would have made up for that.  Nothing on the internet from last month or before tells me that he would not have been available for the right price so I undoubtedly would have left him on the final list had he passed through all the earlier screenings.  His release clause certainly would not have been a barrier—although FM listed it as 13.75 million pounds so that might have scared me off if I had not found different information elsewhere.
According to FM his best traits are his determination, acceleration, agility, first touch, and technique.  His worst traits are his long throws, marking, tackling, jumping, aggression, and positioning.  In other words, he is not very good defensively and does not head the ball well.  If these statistics are accurate (a risky assumption) he will need to work hard to improve his defensive skills to play the way Koeman wants.  On the other hand, he may never have been called upon to play much defense so the ratings are likely based upon inadequate information.
The question is what, if anything, I should learn from this.  That depends on what I am trying to do.  If I am trying to guess who Southampton might sign, I need to expand my parameters.  The problem is that if I had expanded the system to include players with an 11 composure, I would have also included those with an 11 finishing.  If I  included 1.5 star players with these attributes (even excluding those for whom FM indicates no significant potential for improvement), it would have more than doubled the number of players I had to evaluate.  I did not have twice as much time to spend (or more accurately, I would still be working on the project had I gone that direction).
On the other hand, if my goal is to spot players who would do well for us, I simply need to wait and see how Juanmi turns out.  If he is a flop, then my system was better than the black box.  If he does well, my system mistakenly overlooked him and I can adjust in January.
I considered the possibility of modifying the system right now to look for younger player with the potential to improve and favor them over older more developed players.  However, that system would have overlooked Pelle last summer and, therefore, would have been just as flawed if guessing actual signings was the goal.
I could stop working inside the game and download an editor and search the database directly instead of using Manchester United’s large scouting staff.  I have been considering that.  I did not want to do it last year because I have found that when I have an editor installed on my computer, I cannot resist using it to scout players for my games.  However, this year I have been so busy that I have only used FM to assist in my blogging so there were no games to ruin.
For now, I have started work on my defensive midfielder report and I will continue it in the same way because it would waste even more time to start over with a new system.  After that, we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment