Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Great Moments in Recent Southampton FC History (Part Six)

I began work on this entry several weeks ago in anticipation of us not signing another center back.  It was to be a kind of optimistic cautionary tale that sometimes signing the wrong person is worse than useless.  Of course, we have signed a new center back so it now will seem like a pessimistic cautionary tale suggesting that one of our new players may be useless.  Take it any way you like.

In December 2012, even I could tell that we needed to sign another center back.  And Forren did not look too bad on Youtube.  The timing was a bit weird and I was very upset up about the decision to sack Nigel Adkins.  In fact, that sacking almost got me to start my blog.  Just as well I did not as anything I wrote then would have looked foolish within weeks.
A couple of months later, I started a new FM 2013 save with the final post-January transfer window update and Forren was very useful—for a couple of years.  And yet in the real world he still hadn’t played:

This certainly ended strangely:

However, if he really was not going to play for Pochettino, cutting our losses and getting rid of him was the right thing to do.  Yet, FM 2014 still thinks that Forren is better than Fonte so maybe something else was going on.

Has the true story behind this ever come out?  Will it?  Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment