Tuesday, September 2, 2014

My Scouting Report (Update)

Generally speaking, when I write a blog that can be viewed as, in any way, predictive, I will do a follow up so readers can check my work.  It is my current plan to admit mistakes when I make them.  If I make too many mistakes, I will probably start to blame them on someone else.  This is a follow up on the scouting report I put up a few days ago.

My list of right attacking midfielders included:

Alessio Cerci:  Signed by Athletico Madrid
Andros Townsend:  We were interested but did not sign him.
Patrick Herrman:  No sign of any transfer activity.
Alexandre Lacazette:  Newcastle tried to sign him, but he wants to stay at Lyon.
Luciano Narsingh:  No sign of transfer activity.  Called up to Dutch squad for first time.
Emilio Nsue:  Had already transferred to Middlesbrough.  Should not have been on my list.
Maximilian Beister:  No sign of any transfer activity.
Henri Saivet:  Alleged interest from Stoke and Arsenal, but nothing happened.
Callum McManaman:  Wigan allegedly rejected a Celtic bid.
Nathan Redmond:  We had some interest.
Lass Bangoura: Supposedly Newcastle was interested.
Ryan Mendes da Graca:  No sign of any transfer activity.
Alvaro Vadillo:  Had suffered a six plus month injury.  Should not have been on my list.

The glaring name missing from my list is, of course, Sadio Mane.  (FM 2014 rates him as a CA 136 PA 158.)  He did not show up on my list for two reasons.  First, he did not have an EU passport.  In the future, I will not screen for that and will, instead, assume that any player we want is probably good enough to get a Work Permit.  Second, FM viewed him as a left winger, not a right winger.  In the future, I will not limit my searches for wingers to a single side of the field.   I will continue to limit fullback searches by left and right side—at least until that causes me to make a mistake.

Of course, if Mane ends up playing primarily on the left, my mistake would not be in the search itself, but in thinking that we were looking for a right winger.  In any case, I will not redo this search now with the new parameters because it would take a lot of my time for no purpose.

My list of defenders included:
Gary Medel:  Had already been signed by Internazional.  Should not have been on my list.
Micah Richards:  Loaned to Fiorentina.
Robert Huth:  No sign of transfer activity.
Toby Alderweireld:  We signed him.
Mikael Lustig:  No sign of transfer activity.
Serge Aurier:  Had already signed with PSG.  Should not have been on my list.
Sergio Sanchez:  No sign of transfer activity.
Santiago Vergini:  Loaned to Sunderland.

Overall, I think that my system did a fairly good job of identifying potential transfer targets who might actually be available.  I will probably try again in December—if I am still blogging.
The lessons I learned from this project are to use slightly more expansive screens in FM and to check more than one web site for prior transfer activity during the current transfer window.

No comments:

Post a Comment