Sunday, September 14, 2014

I transcribed Jack Cork’s post-match interview yesterday


I transcribed Jack Cork’s post-match interview yesterday.  As always I cleaned up the false starts, verbal tics, and some irregular verbs.  I also did not transcribe the interruptions by happy teammates.  I don't expect to do this every game.
Q:  Jack Cork goal machine, how does that sound?
Cork:  Don’t know.  It could take a while to get used to it.  I don’t know what is happening. Two in.  It took me four years to score a goal and it’s a good feeling.  When I wake up tomorrow it will probably sink in a bit more but I think I will have to work on my goal celebration.  It took a while for the lads to catch up with me and I didn’t really know what to do with the five seconds it took them to get there so I took a slow job into the corner flag.
Q:  Being serious, have you done anything differently?  Have you approached your appearances in any different way?
Cork:  Not really.  No.  I’ve been training with Morgan, training with [unintelligible] in front of goal.  I think that over the last few years, me and him and the other fielders are playing a lot deeper and I think this season we got a lot of freedom to go forward.  And you can see that from the return of goals that they got from the fielders in the first four games. So it’s just good for us and I am enjoying it.  I played the number ten for most of the game today. And its [unintelligible] something I have done for a good five or six years but it is enjoyable and I enjoyed the game.
Q:  It’s a good reward for you I think on your first start of the season.  You have had to be quite patient so far this year.  How has that been so far this year?
Cork:  Yeah. It’s been tough.  I think I like the competition in the squad. They are all good lads and every year that I’ve been here there has been tough competition to get into the team.  It’s gonna be like that and the best teams all have that so as long as they are all good lads and I enjoy working and training with them every day then I am pleased for them when they are starting.  It is just nice when you get your chance to take it and enjoy it.
Q: And obviously, you were rewarded for hard work in training and, I assume, hard work in the appearances you have made by getting that start today.
Cork:  I’d like to think it was that.  I mean I’ve been working really hard off the pitch in training and I’ve tried really hard in the games that I’ve been involved in and,  hopefully, that has shown for the manager and the fans and everyone in the club and no, hopefully, that’s why I deserved to start today.
Q:  How did you look at the game as a whole?  Fantastic start, I thought, and just go from there, really.
A:  Yeah, it was a great 25 minutes and then we got the two goals and I think we sort of slowed down our tempo a bit.  They came back into the game a little bit more and we certainly [could?] improve a little bit but in the second half, we started okay again and they had a little spell but no it was an enjoyable game.  When you win four-nil when you are winning by so many goals … they are always going to come back in and you are gonna take a bit off the pedal.  You don’t mean to do it but it is something that just happens in football and we just had to hold on to a get a win and so get a clean sheet.
Q:  Back to back wins don’t come easy in this division so you must be happy about being able to do that especially either side of an international break?
Cork:  Yeah, it means that we were so successful last year and, hopefully, this year we can repeat that.  The first season we were here to get back to back wins was a massive thing.  And this season after we finished eighth last year we need to be doing more and getting used to that feeling so hopefully we can that that to Swansea and get another win there and keep pushing up the table again .
Q:  Do you feel like you are already starting to answer some of the critics you’ve had over the course of the summer?   People didn’t expect a lot out of Southampton but you have already bettered the first four games of last year so it shows that there is something consistent between these players.
Cork:  I think it lasts for years in the premier league everyone has looked to us at the start of the season and said we’re not sure how they are going to get on and [unintelligible] we used to say hopefully we can help change peoples’ opinions again after what happened in the summer. We had a big overhaul and got a lot of new players in and they have shown over the last few weeks how good they are and how good they can be.  Hopefully, we can keep that going through out the season.  People are going to look at a four-nil today and a lot of people are going to go “OOO.” That’s a great result Southampton against Newcastle and hopefully we can do that more often this season.
Q:  Does that bring a different kind of pressure and expectation now because the teams you’re going to play against suddenly start thinking this is a decent team we are playing here?
Cork:  Yeah, since we have been in the premier league we have always tried to play good football and we have had good seasons every year we have been here. Hopefully, we can keep that going and progress the way we have been doing.
Q:  For you personally, in terms of goal scoring, performances, appearances, and for the team it’s onwards and upwards from here you hope?
Cork:  Yeah, I mean two in three games is a right return for me and if I can keep that record going I will be well happy. So we will see.
Q:  So it’s between you and Graziano for top scorer then?
Cork:  And Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment