Thursday, December 18, 2014

I Make Predictions (Round 17)

Last week, using his scoring system, Mark Lawrenson got five games right for five points.  His celebrity guest got six games right for eight points.  I got six games right for ten points.

Four games were decided by two or more goals.  Lawrenson and his celebrity guest between them picked nine games to be decided by that kind of margin.  Yet, despite the higher number of big margin game scores, none of those nine predictions hit the right score.  The more I do this the more I am convinced that picking someone to win by two or more goals is a fool's game.  For that matter, I am not even sure it is worth picking draws or 1-0 games.  I might get more picks right (especially with exact scores) if I just picked a winner by 2-1 in every game.  On the other hand, the two games I got exactly right last week were the Palace Stoke 1-1 draw and Man City's 1-0 victory over Leicester so maybe I will leave well enough alone for now.

Lawrenson’s new predictions are found here.   (This week he picks four two goal games and they are all 2-0 picks which is the way to go if you are going to pick someone to win by two goals.)
Here are my predictions using the same rules outlined here.
Man City-Palace                                                2-1
Aston Villa-Man U                                            0-1
Hull-Swansea                                                    1-2
QPR-West Brom                                               1-1
Southampton-Everton                                    2-1
Spurs-Burnley                                                   2-1
West Ham-Leicester                                        2-1
Newcastle-Sunderland                                   2-1
Liverpool-Arsenal                                            1-1
Stoke-Chelsea                                                  0-1
I am still very busy, but I have begun working on some mid-season review posts which I expect to have more time to finish next week.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment