Friday, December 26, 2014

I Make Predictions (Round 19)

I just noticed that I do not have to wake up at 6am to watch our game this Sunday because it is a TV game and I can DVR it.  Hooray.

On Friday, using his scoring system, Mark Lawrenson got six games right for eight points.  His celebrity guest got four games right for four points.  I got eight games right for 14 points which was pretty good.  I was helped by the fact that my system predicted no draws and there were no draws.
Since I started seven rounds ago I have predicted 37 out of 70 games correctly for 59 points.  During that same time Lawrenson got 38 correct for 48 points.
I will link to Lawrenson’s new predictions when they are published or when I wake up tomorrow and notice they have been published.  They will be found here.
Here are my predictions using the same rules outlined here. 
Spurs-Man U                                                    1-1
Southampton-Chelsea                                    1-1
Aston Villa-Sunderland                                   2-1
Hull-Leicester                                                   2-1
Man City-Burnley                                            1-0
QPR-Palace                                                       2-1
Stoke-West Brom                                            2-1
West Ham-Arsenal                                          2-1
Newcastle-Everton                                         2-1
Liverpool-Swansea                                         1-1
My system’s tendency to favor the home team has caused it to predict draws for us and Spurs-Manchester United and a win for West Ham.  That is not what I would predict if I were operating based upon my personal judgment.  I would pick Chelsea, Manchester United, and Arsenal to all win 2-1, but that would miss the point of the experiment which is to try to see whether expert predictions add any value when compared to a simple mechanical prediction system.  So far, at least, Lawrenson’s do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment