Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Great Moments in Recent Southampton FC History (Part Two)

My first time watching Southampton play a BPL game:

It was certainly an exciting, if ultimately disappointing game. After all, we nearly beat the champions and a draw was within reach.  I finished the game feeling optimistic.

On the other hand, I also believed that I might have just witnessed the worst defensive play I would see that season with Fox’s header back into the box.  He could not have done it better if he were a Man City striker.

I wondered then why a defensive player would ever head the ball back in like that.  Did he mean to head the ball in a different direction?  Is it a good idea for reasons that escape me?  Was he so paranoid that a Man City player was outside him that he thought he needed to do anything to keep the ball away from this non-existent player?  I just didn’t know.

Of course, now alerted to this issue, as I watched more games, I saw this happen many more times.  My Football Manager players tended to do it as well.  I guess this must be a good play for some reason that still escapes me.  Can anyone explain it to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment